Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Hawthorn Cafes: Porgie and Mr Jones and Liar Liar.

I had a very long and lazy Tuesday where I had two back to back breakfasts.  A very relaxing day indeed.

Liar Liar

I started the morning off at Liar Liar.  I was unfortunately seated next to a screaming baby.  I requested a table change and ended up sitting next to a delightfully polite and well dressed toddler, who was sipping her mini coffee and posing for photos on her Mum's iphone.  Somewhere between too cute and a little bit sickenening.

Despite being a very new coffee drinker, I do love the coffee at Liar Liar.  They make it exceptionally well with beautiful froth flowers and leaves on top.  Nothing like coffee art to perk me up.

After a very long wait, I finally got the scrambled eggs with fetta and spinach.  The previously generous helpings had been whittled down to a miniscule serve.  I probably didn't need a fat stack of fetta for breakfast but it would have been nice.

Porgie and Mr Jones

Ah, Porgie.  This could be my favourite breakfast spot ever.  Loved by most, hated by a few select friends.  From the uber cool staff with just a little bit too much attitude for Hawthorn to the chairs hanging on the walls to the cute little cakes and healthy balls, this place is amazing.  I had a long chat with the lovely girl who works there, and then proceeded to wait for my usually quite punctual blonde friend (three guesses who that is), on the busy communal table while admiring the random 'artwork'.  Heart cut outs and random words on the wall, yes please. 

I was unfortunately too full to enjoy my favourite meal at Porgies (Mr Jones Scrambles, VERY wet scrambled eggs with lashings of goats cheese and spinash-amazing), but instead settled for a cold and refreshing guava juice.  Blonde Friend #1, ordered the Dukkah Eggs.  I think they were poached eggs on grainy bread with spinach, and red pepper pesto...I also vaguely remember something about hazelnut...yum!

We then proceeded to spend the next 3 hours there, watching the place go from being severely over crowded to completely empty at closing time. 

Breakfast food at Porgie is amazing.  The smashed avocado on toast is also a highlight. The pides are also very well made. The service varies from amazing to slow and very average depending on the day/time. 

Anything that involves more complicated cooking is definitely something to be avoided.  A friend's recently made a disastrous food choice of a soup textured risotto...

Overall though, Porgies is the best!  Warm, cosy, cute and delicious. An all time favourite.

1 comment:

  1. I really want to try Porgie and Mr Jones now! Add another place to the list!

    ReplyDelete